blogenlust
8.09.2004

Bush: "Don't tax rich because they'll figure out how to dodge taxes anyway."


The President of the United States actually said this today:
Bush criticized Kerry's plan to eliminate the tax cuts for those making more than $200,000 a year, saying that the "the rich in America happen to be the small business owners" who put people to work. Bush also said high taxes on the rich are a failed strategy because "the really rich people figure out how to dodge taxes anyway."
Ah, so now we finally cut to the chase. We shouldn't tax the rich because, hell, they're just too damn smart and always weasel their way out of paying them anyway. Let's not even try! Not to mention the fact that I know several small business owners that don't make $200,000/year. I don't know much about tax policy, but I do know that we shouldn't let people who figure out ways to not pay their taxes get away with it. I guess this is just his way of pumping up his political base. As Tim Dunlop writes, "This is logic my seven year-old son understands: 'But why should I have a shower, I'm only going to get dirty again."