blogenlust
8.07.2004

Krugman Interview


I think Paul Krugman is one of the best and most important columnists writing today. He's reason enough to read The New York Times. You can find an excellent interview with him at Roy O'Connor's Blog. He talks about many things, including his economics background, his initial "gut feeling" about a Bush Administration, September 11, and the Iraq War. At the end, there's this gem:
That canard put to bed, Krugman says it’s time for a showdown. “Can we break the machine that is imposing right-wing radicalism on the United States?” he asks. “The scariest part is that the media is part of that machine. There will have to be some kind of reckoning soon, a possible Watergate moment to come . . . Things aren’t all the way unraveled yet . . . and alternative scenarios still exist. “We need above all sunlight! We need to see what is actually going on,” he concludes. “When are people going to wake up?”
Admittedly, I am a little biased in my thinking that the media is actually biased towards the Republican agenda. I've read Al Franken's book, I've seen the effects of Fox News, and I've seen Jeff Greenfield hold up RNC Talking Points immediately after Kerry's acceptance speech on CNN. I think there is lots of evidence for such bias. However, when you talk to a Republican about this, you hear the exact opposite, backed up with their own evidence. This past week I was thinking about that and I came to the conclusion that the only way both sides could rightfully claim a bias must be a result of the general incompetance of the media (particularly cable news). In other words, I'm not sure that the Media has a blanket agenda (although I do believe Fox does). Rather, in attempting to commercialize and add entertainment to the news, the Media has lost its purpose and the result is incompetant news coverage. Whenever sensationalism trumps substance, public discourse is hurt the most.