blogenlust
8.08.2004

"This aggression will not stand, man"


Greatest Movie Of All-Time? Maybe. Irregardless, this is a really good piece about the Lebowski Fest, which according to the article, attracted 4,000 followers in Louisville, KY (its a travelling fest, man).
For two days, Lebowski fans (referred to as Achievers) will dress up as their favorite character (or prop, like a severed toe), dig some far-out rock bands at the Knitting Factory, bowl in far-out Queens, imbibe White Russians (and maybe less licit substances) and spend a lot of time shouting lines at one another like: "This aggression will not stand, man." "You're entering a world of pain." "You want a toe? I can get you a toe. Believe me, there are ways, Dude. You don't want to know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon, with nail polish." And, of course, the Zen-like sign-off, "The Dude abides." I suspect this will all grow old pretty quickly and I plan to be at home those nights with my pet marmot. But the festival offers a superb opportunity to celebrate "The Big Lebowski" for being not "Fargo" but one of filmdom's most inspired farragos — a monumentally disjunctive text that is much more fun to savor a second, third and tenth time, when all one's petty-bourgeois narrative concerns have dissipated like so much marijuana smoke.
This is definitely my feeling about the film. Every time I watch it again, I find a new line to quote and a new scene to make me laugh. I think that is the mark of a great film (at least comedies). Jeff Bridges and John Turturro are both excellent in their respective roles. John Goodman, though, steals the movie with his best role ever, Walter.
Smokey, this is not 'nam. This is bowling. There are rules.
That is my all-time favorite Lebowski line.