blogenlust
9.01.2004

From the Mouths of Zell


Sorry, I've become a bit obsessed with the Emperor from Star Wars and his speech tonight at the RNC. Atrios points to this, which is interestingly still on Miller's Senate website, but probably will be taken off tomorrow in the interest of not looking like an asshole. The date of this speech was March 1, 2001:
My job tonight is an easy one: to present to you one of this nation's authentic heroes, one of this party's best-known and greatest leaders – and a good friend. He was once a lieutenant governor – but he didn't stay in that office 16 years, like someone else I know. It just took two years before the people of Massachusetts moved him into the United States Senate in 1984. In his 16 years in the Senate, John Kerry has fought against government waste and worked hard to bring some accountability to Washington. Early in his Senate career in 1986, John signed on to the Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Deficit Reduction Bill, and he fought for balanced budgets before it was considered politically correct for Democrats to do so. John has worked to strengthen our military, reform public education, boost the economy and protect the environment. Business Week magazine named him one of the top pro-technology legislators and made him a member of its "Digital Dozen.
Yes, that is the same Zell Miller. Now, I'm sure he'd say 9/11 changed everything. But did 9/11 retroactively change this: "John has worked to strengthen our military." Last thing I have to say about the speeches from tonight, I swear. I think it is revealing how they spent so much time bashing Kerry, as opposed to praising Bush's record. If I were a Republican, I'd probably do a word count analysis to demonstrate that the speakers talked about Kerry more than Bush. But I'm not, so I won't. On MSNBC, a talking head noted that there have been two conventions about Kerry. This talking head went on to question, rhetorically, of course, what does that say about the record of George Bush that he is afraid to put it in the spotlight and opt instead to bash his opponent? I am anxious to see how the public responds to these speeches, especially Miller's. I think the public will be smart enough to take them both with a grain of salt.