blogenlust
9.08.2004

shove your courtesy up your ass


I am evolving into a more hardened and jagged version of my former self. Why? Job searching. One of the most surprising things about looking for a job has been the realization that people will not go out of their way to give you a break. In the early stages of my job searching, I naively believed that if I emailed/called somebody about a position, I would get an email back. Not so. I also believed that if I had interviewed for a position, I would receive the courtesy of knowing whether I got the job or not. Not so. I had thought it was a simple request, you know, simply acknowledging my existence. Not so. As a result, I've learned to be more cut-throat, and not worry about anyone but myself. I feel a little guilty about entertaining multiple positions, telling each person I talk to, "I'm primarily interested in this position." Yet, I realize that this is the only way that things will get done. If I take one job, but am offered a better one, I'll quit and take the better one. Why? Because in the immortal words of Billy Corgan:
The world is a vampire, sent to drain secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames and what do i get, for my pain betrayed desires, and a piece of the game even though i know-i suppose i'll show all my cool and cold-like old job despite all my rage i am still just a rat in a cage
The world is a vampire, indeed.