blogenlust
11.02.2004

ugh.


Obviously, I'm incredibly disappointed. I did not expect this to happen the way it did, which I guess is why I do this as a hobby and not professionally. However, it seems that the margin in Ohio is pretty damn close and might take a few days to figure out. At this point, though, I think the writing is on the wall, but I don't want to concede anything just yet. I hear it could be ten or eleven days before all the results are in... I can't quite get myself to fathom how a state (Ohio) that has 6.0% unemployment and has lost over 250,000 jobs in the last four years decided to re-elect Bush. [update: My home county of Racine, WI, which has the highest unemployment in the state of Wisconsin, also voted to re-elect President Bush.] This country clearly has serious issues with accountability, which is sad, because ultimately, I think, it is us who will be forced to be accountable for this Administration's actions. I'm also really upset about the message we just sent to the rest of the world. I think it is really easy for people to dismiss what the rest of the world thinks about our country, but that just demonstrates peoples' ignorance of how things work. So, to anyone reading this from abroad, I'm sorry and I don't quite understand it myself. More broadly, I'm pretty disturbed by some of the state election results I've seen. More than a few states voted to ban gay marriage, and more than a few states elected extremist officials (Colburn?? WTF!) And don't forget Kentucky, who elected a Senator with dementia. It is nights like tonight that make me feel like a foreigner in my own country. I have to say that I really liked John Kerry as a candidate. Sure, he might have shot himself in the foot over Iraq, but I thought he was a really good choice to face Bush. Admittedly, I was first skeptical about his chances, but the more I learned about him, the more I liked. Tonight, he didn't lose to Bush, he losed to ignorance. People are just not informed well enough in this country and someday they'll wake up and have to face the very real consequences of the last four years and what looks like the next four years. I don't necessarily blame Kerry for this (although he could have done a little more, probably), I mainly blame the media in this country. When 60% of the country still believes Saddam had something to do with 9/11 that is a big fucking problem and it stems from the media's inability to clearly articulate the facts from the spin. Ok, I'm done venting for now. We'll see what happens in Ohio and I'll have my fingers crossed. Update: Normally I might laugh at something like this, but not this morning. TBOGG articulates what I'm thinking:
I look at the big map and all of the red in flyover country and I feel like I've been locked in a room with the slow learners. We have become the country that pulls a dry cleaning bag over its head to play astronaut.